Thread: Cessna C337 SID
View Single Post
Unread 01-14-10, 10:08 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Do to an AD I had to remove the rudder shaft in my Navajo because of an inspection requirement for possible corrosion. This is a long vertical tube in the tail, that was sealed at the bottom. Over the years they would at times accumulate moisture and potentially corrode at or near the bottom. Had they been made with a hole in the bottom they would have never held moisture and this would probably never have come about. During years of Navajo aircraft maintenance, A&P's around the world had reported this occurance often enough that the inspection AD was eventually put in place. So of course there are issues in the design and manufacture of virtually all things that can possibly fail, and or "go bad" over time, but it isn't "time" alone that creates the problem.

Our questions about the proposed SID with the 336/337 isn't "if" we should be concerned about safety, it is "if" there is a demonstrated real use observation of a failure to a system or component that can be expected to be found in even a small percentage of the fleet. If not, then move on to the next model.

I'm quite sure you can make a fatigue failure computer program do just about anything, if your motivation is to "do something", but that's a far different thing than demonstrating real life components failures in the fleet.

Have there been any Service Difficult reports or have any A&P's reported real life issues with the area in question, or is this entirely a Nerd generated computer simulation?