View Single Post
Unread 12-14-20, 09:47 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Air

I would agree wslade2, you could have air in the system. I had air in my system and it causes major gear problems. The book has procedures to purge air, but to ensure the pumps are fully primed, I have used my brake bleeding pressure pump to fill the reservoir. I capped the overflow, pulled the pump off the engine (leave lines hooked up), and undo the pressure line from the firewall and put in a container. once the reservoir fills up from the pressure pot, it will push through the suction line to the pump (turning it slowing like a motor) and out the pressure line. I did that until I had no bubbles. Hook everything back up and you will have eliminated the largest of the trapped air - that can collect in the suction line. Remember, these gear pumps do not like air, and are not really self purging. Then, follow the gear swing / trapped air procedure in the manual.
Yes - this is a bit of work, but take it from experience, the worst thing you can have happen is a full reservoir but a gear that hangs up mid-cycle due to air in the suctions lines.....it is a bit stressful.

Jeff