Thread: New ELT
View Single Post
Unread 03-07-03, 05:18 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Personally, I don't find any real value in the remote control for the ELTs. It is kind of nice to be able to see a light flashing if you ELT is activated, I suppose.

So why do I have one of the new ones? Here's the way I understand it, perhaps others will correct me if I have it wrong.

If your ELT fails, and you cannot find an exact part number replacement for it, any new ELT installation made must comply with the new standards, which include the remote panel. So, replace the ELT, you get the remote control, whether you want it or not.

Also, if your old style ELT battery fails, you may find it costs a significant percentage of the total cost of a new ELT just to replace your battery. Many of the new ELTs use standard D cell batterys, which you can replace yourself. So, when faced with a big battery expense for an ELT that is no longer maintainable, and considering the new ELTs do have less problems with inadvertant activation, and work better in general, well, it is easy to convince yourself that buying a new ELT (with the remote control, whether you want it or not), is the best idea. This was the case for me a couple of years ago.

Bottom line, there is a remote control in your future sooner or later. Would I change ELTs just to get the panel? My opinion: no way.

kevin

Reference: Article on ELTs on AvionicsWest site: http://www.avionicswest.com/articles/eltupdate.htm