Thread: Mackinac Island
View Single Post
Unread 07-31-02, 02:24 PM

Bob:

Shucks. Sorry I missed you.

<<I spent lots of time at TCM and the FADAC engineers. Rather interesting. >>

Interesting, yes... but, sadly, not workable. I am VERY familiar with FADEC and in it's current configuration I will stand by the statement that it is completely unworkable... especially in the real world. 26 sensors and if any ONE of them fails, the system does not work. I have seen both the pilot's manual and the maintenance manual. The maint. manual FILLS a 5" ring binder and the Pilot's manual is so large and complex as to be esentially worthless.

So far, I am unaware that anyone has gotten a FADEC unit off the ground without CHTs being 45OdF or more. On the IO-550, the FF at 75% power is OVER 19gph and the unit forces LOP operation and ROP operation depending on rpm. The pilot can NOT affect this. There is no mixture knob.

Sad. It could cost TCM their existance, which would be bad for all of us.

OTOH, the PRISM system, which should be flying on experiementals by the end of this year and on Certificated aircraft in 12-18 months is really working--even on 91 octane fuel--without detonation. It really works and it is currently being tested on the toughest engine in the fleet where detonation is concerned, the Lycoming IO-540J2BD of the Navajo. It seemlessly controls the detonation and really works. HP is up both on takeoff and in cruise with PRISM. You can check it out at <www.GAMI.com>

Walter