View Single Post
Unread 09-23-13, 03:22 PM

Apelsin Elise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
Flying to those locations is easy when all is working well.

You won't like them if you experience an engine-out, and that should always be your first consideration when flight planning. We don't plan for everything to work; we plan for failures, and then know we're safe when we can still work the emergencies and have enough margin of performance to get by.

Sometimes people mistake good two-engine performance for a pass to go places they ought not, conveniently forgetting what happens when power is lost. Same for the single engine crowd that forgets basic airmanship is always keeping a landing site within gliding distance.
Of course. You are absolutely right.

Training and planning should never be discounted, especially when flying over extremely hostile terrain: Fly early in the morning. Always check density altitude. Check winds. Fly light. Always (try to) have an out. Take mountain flying course. Read books on mountain flying. Stay proficient. Don't get into the weather. Be prepared.

However, everything happens in a context. Short of turbines, what other twin would you prefer to be in while having an engine failure on takeoff from a high DA mountain airport?

Engine failure after takeoff from Glenwood Springs spells trouble for any piston twin. Most likely it will end in a crash. And crash options are not pretty in Glenwood Springs. My point is that turbo Skymaster or P-Skymaster will do better than most of the other piston twins there.

OP asked about Skymaster performance in the context of flying in Colorado. While I have never experienced complete engine failure in my Skymaster (yet), I have had partial power loss and other system failures over the mountains. It was not fun, but my P337 made it manageable. And, so far, safe.

Would you suggest another twin better suited for the OP mission? If yes, which one and why?

Speaking about single engine piston airplanes always keeping a landing site within gliding distance... this is (realistically) not an option in Colorado. You either take your chances while keeping your time over "no landing options" terrain to a minimum... or you stay home.

Alex