View Single Post
Unread 12-07-07, 07:30 PM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
WHO'RE YA CALL'IN ERUDITE!! Oh....wait....I guess that's complimentary. Well that's different. Never mind. Thanks Dave & Larry for your kind thoughts. Larry, I apologize for the erroneous use of titles. My perception of your organizational chart used administrator and webmaster interchangeably. Regardless of title I do appreciate the time and effort both you and Ernie invest in keeping this site up and running.
I fear my original post may be being perceived as more derogatory of CV's product than I had intended. There really are some rather magical things going on in those boxes, its just that I do not believe it is quite living up to all it was advertised to be, all I had expected it to be and all I believe it could be. With the FAA's approval of EFB's as primary data and CV's statement in its literature that the Anywhere Map System is "a complete navigation system that does everything a certified system can do" I believed I was purchasing the functional equivalent of paper sectional & enroute charts. Although the database is updated on the same cycle as the paper charts, outdated and/or missing data renders the basemap unreliable. Without reliable basic data all the other nice features go for naught. Raster images of the actual gov't publications used as the basemap would go a long way in improving the product. Superimposing weather on the approach plates would also be helpful. I do not know of any moving map software that is capable of doing so however. The Voyager product has a chart viewer but it opens in a seperate window, not as the basemap. The Voyager product is otherwise similar, in some respects such as flight planning even more capable but their GUI seemed more difficult to navigate. Even their sales staff was oftentimes confused when trying to answer questions outside of their practiced presentations and they did not demonstrate the product on the actual display devices to be used but rather on a large flat screen computer monitor which left one suspicious of the screen display in actual use. It won't be long before someone will have the capability to toggle between a sectional map plan view and a Google Earth type fly over display with the altitude and direction synched to the GPS something like what VistaNav is doing. So many toys, so little time and money.
So all in all I'm not despondent, just mildly disappointed. I'm hoping the product will quickly improve in as much as there are several other players using this same platform who would like a piece of this market and will likely keep the competitive pressure on. If CV does not keep up they will be history in short order.
Smooth rides and tailwinds, Steve G.