Thread: Davenport Iowa
View Single Post
Unread 08-05-06, 05:46 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Davenport Iowa

I flew into Muscatine this morning and about halfway thru the trip over Rockford I heard what I thought was a backfire from the front engine. I was preparing to shut down but all vitals appeared to be fine. With plenty of airports in the area and no signs of issues with temp or oil I proceeded onward. When I arrived MUT I landed and was picked up by a company that is building some equipment for my plant in Michigan. As I returned to fly back to Michigan I noticed a puddle of oil under the front engine. Long story short I had a blown cylinder. Crack right in half. I can see the sleeve and the one push rod tube was seperated from the cylinder. I lost about 3/4 of a quart of oil and also broke the opposite rear engine mount. Looks like just the rubber lord mount. WOW! I can't believe I was flying this airplane like that.

Has anyone had any experience with the folks from Carver Areo? They run the FBO in Davenport and have the one here in Muscatine. I talked with one of the mechanics already and he said they have a guy that knows 337's really well. I guess I will see.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years