Thread: Test flight
View Single Post
Unread 03-14-04, 11:24 AM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
Kevin:

The autopilot can be repaired. If it's holding altitude but not heading, it might be the autopilot, or it might be the output of the DG. Try Autopilots Central in Tulsa. They are reputed to be the experts on the 400A. They can help troubleshoot over the phone.

As for the oil on the belly, first check in the engine compartments. Are the engines dry, or is there evidence of oil leaks any place on the engine. If the engines are dry, then the oil probbly is coming out of the breather. This could be because there is too much oil in the crankcase. On my 73 P337, if I put the recommended 8 quarts in, the first two quarts goes out very quickly, and then oil consumption stabilzes. There also could be problems with the air/oil separators.

Check the data plate on the engine. If it is a c6b, then you have the heavy case. If it has been welded twice in the past, chances are you have the original c6 engine, which was the light case.

I had my gage cluster rebuilt a few years ago. I don't remember who did it, but I'll look it up today when I go out to the airport.

Mark