Thread: Test flight
View Single Post
Unread 03-14-04, 05:48 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Gage cluster & Turbos

Kevin,

As to the gage cluster, if you're getting intermittant indications when you push on the front, chances are the plug/receptacle on the backside with the wire bundle has wiggled loose\, or the contacts might be corroded. A cleaning and replugging might be all that's needed. Go through the avionics compartment hatch and take a look see... chances are very good that the problem is the slide-on plug and/or the contacts.

As to the turbos, you'll need to remove the cowls and visually inspect the center section where the oil line attaches. Of course there are seals on either end that might be going south. On the front engine, take the air cleaner out and with mirror and light, visually inspect the impeller to see if there's any FOD that may have caused nicks or damage... also you can hand turn it and see if there's any axial play or rubbing. Same thing with the rear unit, although it's a little more involved to check. If you have someone with small hands and arm, they can reach through the rear exhaust pipe and feel for axial play... that is, if the person with the small hand/arms knows what they're feeling-looking for!

Also, I think the heavy-cased rear engine is the "CB6B" and the light case is the "C" model, the latter of which was prone to cracks at the rear position. The rear prop bulkhead should also be checked!

As to oil on the belly and/or tail feathers, NO this is not normal. But as others have indicated, if the oil has been topped off to the full 8, it's going to throw out the first 1.5 to 2 quarts... and it WILL be on the belly. Every P337 owner I know runs with 6 to 6.5 quarts on the dipstick.

I presume you have an independent shop and/or mechanic who is or will be doing a "pre-buy" inspection for you, and if you're not.... buyer beware! A "Test Flight" is not conclusive that you're not buying a Pig-In-A-Poke.

Interesting that you're giving us the heads-up on this bird, as a friend of mine has been curiously looking at this ship. Seems the interior was 'dolled-up' to make it more saleable... ah, that nice 'Corinthian' leather!

SkyKing