View Single Post
Unread 01-20-10, 05:18 PM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
I have operated a P337 now for 10 years now. Yes, you are limited to 5 seats, but as anyone will tell you, the 337 is really a four seater carrying a tonne of luggage. The rear seats are very small and not easy to get into. Kiddi seats at best. I have never installed the 5th seat and save on the insurance.

As for maintenance, not much real difference in equipment from a T. You have a pair of dump valves on the rear fire wall and an altitude controller. As there were smokers in my plane at one point, I had to have the dump valves overhauled early in my ownership. You also do have a door seal which can be an issue. Replacements are expensive. I have considered an inflatable seal, but the beer budget always gets spent on something else.

If the aircraft does not pressurize, you are in for a bit of an voyage of discovery to find all the leaks. Once done, everything remains stable. Finding the leaks and fixing them all may take a bit of time. If you can find a place with the right equipment and experience, the challenge is reduced. We have used a leaf blower with much success. You can hear most leaks.

One thing as it is a pressure hull is that any holes, for say a new antenna or GPS require a DER approval with hoop stresses being a concern. That means a doubler plate and enough rivets of the right strength. There are many DER's, but you might want to search for references on this site for Ray Torres of RT Aerospace.

Some of the systems are slightly different, but not a major deal.

Flying is no different from other 337's I have flown. That said, it is very nice to be in cruise at say 18 k, above all the traffic and weather, but not wearing a nose bag. ATC also treat you differently in the high altitude sectors, the exception being they might think you are a turbine, but you're not.

The one consideration is to always be thinking about the decent profile. At 1000 fpm from 18 k to say sea level is 18 minutes and if you are doing 180 kts plus on the decent you need to start a long way back - 3x18 nm. If you take slow rate, even further out.

There are a few training considerations. Emergency decent being one, but it is all pretty well spelt out in the POH. You don't need a high altitude endorcement, but as you are approaching the danger zone above 18k, it might not be a bad idea, though not required until you are flying over 25k.

They are a great IFR machine when equiped.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards - Dave