View Single Post
Unread 01-21-10, 07:34 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I just have to pipe in on this discussion too. I think this topic deserves more input around the camping environment at Sun N' Fun. You should plan to come out and actually kick the tires of all these models. SOAPA is counting on having at least one of each for those interested parties to be able to stroke these birds in person. Just a suggestion.

As for me on this topic, I always say "what is the mission"? If it is high altitude MEA's and longer distance flights then the P model might be warranted. I flew in the mountains for the first 20 years of my piloting hobby. Only had the privilege of turbos (C320) with one of 4 aircraft that I had some time in. The Skymaster's were all normal and typically flying in the low to mid teens for most cross country flights. I flew very little IFR then so MEA's were usually not in the picture. But if a person was flying IFR, in the west, over the mountains, the P model might make better sense. Now a resident of the mid west flat lands, a P model really doesn't compute for me. I typically always file for cross country now but the MEA's are below 10K. From 8-10K is the normal Skymaster's best friend. I can say that turbos and pressurization would be nice but there has only been maybe a handful of times that I really needed it. When comes to maintenance I am really glad I have the normal. My IA is too. He works on both and the normal does make life a lot easier. Skymaster is a great airplane, whether it's a P model or just the normal depends on the type of mission you are going to use it for. Most of my flying is just recreational and maybe a half dozen long flights a year. I really like the performance that I have with the lighter weight for the type of flying that I do. I enjoy unimproved strips, back country and weekend warrior flying.

Coming to Sun N' Fun this April will give a great opportunity to see aircraft and talk to the pilots. A huge advantage before you buy. Be careful out there because the Skymaster has been known to have a fair share of ramp queens. A good thorough pre-buy is a must. Make sure you select the inspector that is familiar with Skymasters but not the specific plane you are inspecting. You probably know this routine, good luck and hope to see you in Lakeland.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years