View Single Post
Unread 04-29-09, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
My starting procedure, which I believe is based on the POH, is the reverse: front engine first. The reason for this is important, and I think this procedure has saved the day several times. The cable run from battery to starter is much shorter, probably 3 to 5 times shorter, for the front engine, so the electrical resistance and voltage drop is much lower. There have been a number of times when, after not using the aircraft for several weeks, the voltage at the front-engine starter was so low that it barely turned the engine, and it was just enough to get the engine started. At times cranking would stop after a couple of engine turns, when battery voltage dropped too low, and it was lucky that after letting it rest for a few minutes, the engine caught on the first turn of what was obviously a dying battery. In most of those instances, I believe the rear engine would not have started, and switching to the front one would not have worked because the attempts at starting the rear engine would have dropped the voltage even further.

I hope others will jump in and comment.

Ernie