View Single Post
Unread 06-15-23, 03:56 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Engine update

Thanks for the additional information. Regardless of the core policy, a factory rebuilt engine is over $10k more than I paid for the entire plane. I was interested in the beginning only because NONE of the shops I called could get a serviceable replacement case or a VAR crank and buying them new put the cost of a rebuild higher than a factory rebuild. All but 1 recommended I get a factory rebuilt one.......

After considerable scrounging I did find a -GB engine that was an old rebuild that was never installed. I have removed most of the parts and sent them in to the various expert shops out there and low and behold, all the parts were certifiable with only very minor work. The only real issue has been lead time.....The cylinder shop gave me a cost estimate of less than $3000 bring the cylinders up to snuff since they already had new valves and the like in them, so not much work. But the lead time for that "little work" is 16 weeks! Needless to say, they are the last thing I am waiting on as everything else is back and ready to go.

I hope to be flying it again by the end of July............