Thread: Autopilot Servo
View Single Post
Unread 07-11-02, 03:41 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Bob, here are some additional questions (sorry and hope I'm not being a PITA):

1 - If the clutch were bad, how would it make a turn either way? I probably don't understand the function of the clutch.

Clutch allows you to overide AP. Also slips so motor does not stall.

2 - If there are CW and CCW voltage leads, who two 24V leads?

These leads > should see voltage (control input)

3 - What do the "Effort" leads do? What should they read?

feedback for current monitoring to computer.

4 - Does the description of the leads mean there are two totally separate circuits in play for each direction (left and right) and that when measured, the appropriate leads should show voltages and the opposite ones won't?

yes

5 - Assuming the -10V reference is there properly, then if I fire up on the ground, pull the center knob and turn to the left, will the CCW and matching 24V and "Effort" leads all read and the others not? And if I then turn to the right, will things be reversed?

should see voltage on cw and ccw inputs from computer (control voltage). small voltage on effort (current). -10 is input to pot and each end wiper goes back to computer

6 - When measuring the voltages, will they always be referenced to A/C ground, or to their own side of the circuit?

to gnd

I'm wondering once I've got the thing out why not just replace all the transistors? They seem cheap and why mess with them? If the control head is sending the correct signals and the potentiometer is good, seems I should just replace all the transistors, or at least the seven 2n1546 versions as you mentioned.

its up to you but not necessary. may be easier for you in the long run.

(I think I understand your point about the center knob and the turn coordinator: if it overrides that then and there is still the malfunction, then a potential loss of turn coordinator signal isn't the problem anyway.)

right. you should be able to roll ailerons left and right with knob on gnd and pwer to autopilot. it is a simple gnd test to insure computer and servos are working properly including motor. The clutch allows you to overide with considerable force in the event there is an autopilot runaway.

hope this helps and no you are not a pita. ..

bob