View Single Post
Unread 11-14-19, 02:11 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Nose Gear doors

Do the NLG doors also open on ground if aircraft is sitting??

On my 66, the main thing that holds the actuator in the closed position, is the internal lock on the actuator (small balls internal in actuator). The actuator requires pressure, to unlock it. If I remember correctly, I cannot unlock mine using my fingers - have to pump a few times and build up pressure. If the 65 is the same, then it could be that the either A. The wrong actuator is installed (later models did not have internal locks, B. The balls or mechanism not installed correctly during the rebuild, or C. The actuator is not rigged properly and the doors are bottoming out before the actuator does (least likely, but possible).

Again, on my 66, the only other item in the system is the door vent valve, but that is actually meant to bleed pressure off the door system so that with temperature changes, the pressure in the lines does not build up statically and cause the doors to open. Not sure if that valve being adjusted wrong would cause this problem... If the tolerance was too tight, you would think it would also impact the main gear doors as well then.

On the later models, from what I can tell from the Service Manual, they had actuators without internal locks, and had a Door Close Lock Valve in the LH engine compartment (inbd of battery leading into Nose Wheel-well). That check valve holds pressure in the close line to keep doors closed. When its seals get old, it will cause the pressure to bleed off the lines, and ALL the doors will open. I do not believe this is how the 1965 model is (you can quickly verify by looking in the LH forward cowling and following the lines) - especially given the symptom.

Just some thoughts.
Jeff

Last edited by JAG : 11-14-19 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added info