View Single Post
Unread 04-15-11, 08:45 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
I very much share the concern about rear-engine fires and posted a question on the subject awhile back. So, glad to see the excellent suggestions from Ernie, and good input from others. My little aerial survey operation had to meet Part 135 standards for our primary contract and here's how I addressed in-flight fires in my ops manual:

IV.4 Inflight Fire: In the event of an inflight fire, immediately head toward a suitable landing site – which may not necessarily be an airport. Accident history clearly shows that an inflight fire can quickly incapacitate the crew and/or render the aircraft uncontrollable. A safe landing as soon as possible – even off airport - is of critical importance in surviving a fire inflight. Non-pilot crewmembers/ passengers should attempt to locate the source of the fire (if in the cabin) and take steps to fight it. After landing, cease firefighting efforts and immediately exit the aircraft.

I also invested in smoke-hoods for myself and my crew. One experience with a smoke-filled cockpit was enough to make a believer out of me.

When I was a check airman at the airlines, I used to ask in the briefings what was the first thing to do in the event of a suspected fire. The answer usually came back "Get the checklist out," and my response was "No, that's second; first thing is to turn immediately toward a suitable landing site and descend. Getting on the ground quickly and safely is everything."

Joe