View Single Post
Unread 04-22-11, 12:26 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Returning from the Bahamas in 2007, we had just attended the SOAPA event. Larry and I were flying with Jerry in his G model P337. We were on the first domestic leg from Ft. Pierce to a small airport in Southern Kentucky (can't remember the name now). I was in the rear and I was hearing some kind of knock or something. I had mentioned that I thought I heard something but Larry and Jerry didn't seem to hear it yet. Again, we are at Flt Level 100, we all have headsets on, in one of those noisy Skymasters and it's a pressurized cabin. I am hearing some kind of noise that is coming from the rear or bottom of the plane.

All of a sudden a loud quick knock gets the attention of everyone in the cabin. See I told you I heard something, I thought. Within a few seconds I could smell oil, burnt oil or hot oil. Jerry immediately called center and said that we needed down now. Center told us that Athens, GA was just a few miles on right and told us to squawk 1200 and call Athens. Ok, just drop us then. Anyway, one of the bolts for the rocker arm broke and the rocker made a hole in the cover. You will have to search the SOAPA Bahamas thread to see the photos and story about the amazing repair that day, in Athens, on a Saturday.

You can definitely smell hot stuff in the rear engine from the back seat, right away. We had no fire,

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years