View Single Post
Unread 05-17-04, 08:49 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Temp.

I have a 337H normally asperated. I to had problems regulating engine temp on both engines. I added the model 1200 Egt/Cht to monitor temp. In winter the front engine was always 160 degree on oil temp, while heads where around 290 temp range. The rear would run in the normal range in winter, but on the hot side in summer. My A/P added a removable plate for above the oil cooler on front engine, for winter use. That brought the front engine oil temp up to 190 degree in winter and solved the water problem that was forming in the oil. I never have to use cowl flaps on front engine, winter or summer. Now the rear engine I have to leave cowl flaps open a lot in summer, even open a little if staying at or under 4000 feet for long period of time, if outside temp is around 80 degree or above. In winter the rear engine stays in the normal range and very seldome have to use cowl flaps even at climb. Because I am normally asperated, I can not get above 13,500, I do not have the high altitude problem.