View Single Post
Unread 01-09-09, 09:19 PM

billsheila is an unknown quantity at this point
Question The darn GEAR, darn it!

I have been struggling with a gear problem on my 1965 Skymaster, serial #31

The power pack was changed at annual due to evidence of a hydraulic leak. Turned out the leak was a stress crack in a hydraulic line near the pack (and not the pack itself) but they changed it anyway because it was original equipment.

Question is this for those gear experts out there, as follows:

When the handle is up and gear goes into the locks, is pressure supposed to be kept on the gear even after they go into the up-locks (ie while the doors go into motion to close)? Mechanic has determined (by disconnecting the doors) that after the gear go into the locks it appears that pressure is staying on the gear while the gear doors go into motion...the extra "up" motion is making the switch disconnect, which then re-opens the doors as the switch contact is lost and the door solenoid on the pack drops out. Without the doors closing long enough to work the time-delay valve, the handle never moves. When I manually move the handle to neutral the gear relax into the locks and then make proper contact with the switch, thus the light comes on (but with no hydraulic pressure, the doors remain hanging open).

The answer to the question will help determine whether we have a simple rigging problem with the switches, or whether there is something wrong with the replacement power pack that is not sequencing properly (keeping pressure on the gear while the doors go into motion to close)

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks