View Single Post
Unread 08-11-02, 11:58 PM

Damon Banks is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

Guy, very interesting.

I have experienced 2 alternator shaft failures on the rear engine of my T337G. Failure was in exactly the same position you describe. Really looks like a manufacturing fault - no radius at point in shaft where the diameter changes.

I could possibly count a third failure too - of the Lord Coupler...probably it failed first and saved the shaft...I changed to the Continental Coupler at that point. All 3 failures have been within the last 600 hours.

My theory is that the Lord coupler allows some 'flex', and it is this which weakens the rubber compound - leading to the regular failure of the Lord coupler we're familiar with. In this case it seems the lesser of two evils - at least you don't have to remove the engine - the Lord coupler doesn't snap the shaft sending bits of steel shaft through the engine!

The feedback I've been getting suggests that the IO360 has an inherent vibration which manifests itself here...any ideas?

Anyone else had similar problems? I know Blair Howe had problems with the vac pump drive.

Regards,
Damon