View Single Post
Unread 02-07-10, 09:16 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Scotty,

I cannot answer your question precisely about where the exact trim location is for landing. I am fairly sure it is aft of the range marked on the trim panel next to the trim wheel. The no flap range is the range marked on the plastic panel next to the trim wheel and then the trim pointer actually moves aft of the entire range marking on the plastic after I have selected full flaps for landing and select more aft trim to relieve the heavy feel of the elevator. After landing and selecting flaps up, the trim wheel will automatically roll itself forward to the aft end of the range marked on the plastic panel which is the full aft location available with the flaps up. As I mentioned, on my airplane, this is all accomplished with mechanical linkage. There is no electrical involved here. The next time I fly, I will pay close attention to the pointer for various stages of flight and report what I find. We are to get 6-10 inches of snow tomorrow so it may be a week or two before I get my hanger dug out enough to fly.

As Herb mentioned, these aircraft are very easy to land. My experience has been quite easy to land on the mains and hold the nose off with easy back pressure on the control wheel. It is not heavy in pitch at all if properly configured for landing. I'm not sure if all models of the 337 have this trim configuration. Have your shop check the service manual for your model. My guess is something is not rigged correctly in your airplane. I suspect you are working too hard to land your plane. I have never heard anyone describe it the way you do.

I do not know if you have any time in a Cherokee6, but that was a nose heavy airplane. I would actually roll enough aft trim on short final in that airplane to cause me to have to push slightly on the control wheel to hold the proper attitude. Then for the flare, the required back pressure was at a more manageable level. In my Skymaster however, this has never been the case. There has always been enough trim available and much better balanced control forces in all configurations to not have to work even remotely hard. I'm thinking you should have the control rigging checked. Good luck and I will report back with more precise trim positions when I can.

Take care,

Ed