View Single Post
Unread 06-01-09, 10:45 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The Second Day at SOAPA 2009

We started out with a genuine southern convective monster. At about 8:30 Friday morning I checked the radar on-line and there was a major cell bearing down on us. The airport had said that if there was any bad weather we could possibly go into a hanger with the Skymasters. I talked to Ed and John and we decided to high tail it out to PLK to check the planes. Once there the storm looked really close so the line crew said that it would be too risky to try to move the planes or open the doors on the hangers. Ed, John and I secured the ramp the best we could checking not only our birds but the aircraft around us too. Just about the time we decided we could do no more all HE_ _ broke loose. We just barley made it into the FBO before it got so dark we could not even see the airplanes that were right next to the windows. Sirens were squealing, the TV was telling everyone to take cover and the people in the FBO were screaming to get everyone to the center of the room and away from the windows. That is when I got worried and started praying. Just 1 1/2 miles to the north a tornado was spotted and things were just getting worse. Well after about 20 minutes things started to lighten up and we could start to see the planes on the ramp and all was OK. The wind only peaked 40 MPH at the airport yet where the tornado was spotted they had gusts to 85 MPH. We checked the planes and headed back to the hotel for the meeting.

Later that day we all had lunch together at a great place. The College of the Ozarks has a work program that allows students to pay for their education. Well part of the curriculum is hotel / restaurant management. They have the most beautiful building, lodge, restaurant on the campus by the airport that serves a fantastic fare of goodies. We really had a nice gathering. Then it was off to the airport to see the machines. Not only Skymasters but a collection, private, of the most unique aircraft I have ever seen. It was a great day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Kickin group.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	922   Click image for larger version

Name:	collection.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Space paul.jpg
Views:	1232