Thread: Cessna C337 SID
View Single Post
Unread 01-20-14, 06:28 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
From Don Nieser

Herb and Dave, my recommendation is ..,. DO NOT REMOVE THE RIVETS IN THE BOTTOM FRONT SPAR TO DO THE SID INSPECTION!
The problem is Cessna made a mistake when they wrote the SID. The way the SID is written it tells to do a wing spar Eddy Current inspection of the holes in the bottom front spar at the area just outboard of the strut attachment and they made it applicable to all 337 and 0-2 Skymaster serial numbers. This SID inspection is exactly the same as the original Wing Spar AD put out by the FAA, AD 78-09-05. The mistake by Cessna is that they should not have included all serial numbers in the SID!

If one reads the 337 Wing Spar AD 78-09-05, one will find out that it correctly does not include all serial numbers because the 337 aircraft with serial numbers higher than 1852 wings were beefed up (made stronger) and did not have the screw/bolt holes in the bottom front spar. The late model wings had rivets in the location that The AD 78-09-05 and the SID say to Eddy Current the screw/bolt holes. It is absolutely ridiculous for people at Cessna to tell him to drill out the rivets. This is not the first time this issue has come up. I tried to get Cessna to make a correction to the SID, but they don’t listen to me.

My recommendation is to make a note in the log book stating that the AD 78-09-05 has been accomplished on the wings and the SID inspections have been accomplished up to the but not including the Eddy Current inspection of the screw/bolt holes in the bottom front spar because Cessna made an error when they wrote the SID.

Herb, what is Dave’s aircraft serial number? What is his last name? I think Cessna should put out a letter to all 337 owners of aircraft with serial numbers greater than 1852 stating that the SID is not correct.

You can post this on the SOPA web site message board or I will when I get time.
Don Nieser
Commodore Aerospace Corp
405-503-4686

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years