View Single Post
Unread 08-15-12, 12:06 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
I'm resurrecting this thread because it's the exact question I have. I'm a potential P337 buyer, but probably not until later next year. The reason I'm asking now is that I can make it to Groton, but if I decide not to get a P337 there are a few other unpressurized planes that I might choose over the 337 and attending this year becomes less of a priority.

Some of the reasons I think I need a P337:
I frequently visit short strips (2200' paved with no obstructions, 2500' paved with trees one end, 2900' grass w/ no trees - all less than 1000'MSL elevation.) The bulk of my flying is north of 40deg latitude. I have a 4x/year route that goes south around/thru JFK/LGA, PHL, BWI and DCA and the deviations I get are horrendous. From what I've heard if I can get to 15K or higher I'll get much straighter routing. I've been routed over 150nm off course in a single flight. I won't go out over the water in my single and it does poorly above 12,000'. I'm also sick of picking my way through local summer weather at 9,000-11,000 ft. My wife gets headaches if not on O2 above 10-12K and neither of us are fans of the nosebag.

So onto my specific questions. I have searched the site and read 100's of messages, but I still have an unanswered question or two:

1) Re: Cabin temp with pressurization. Can you turn off the pressurization until you're at altitude to keep incoming fresh air temps down? Can you bypass the pressurization intake and get direct fresh air? If so, is there any problem with turning pressurization on suddenly at altitude? If not, how much above outside air temp do you see the cabin temps during climbout?

2) How much do the intercoolers help with incoming cabin air temps? If you can estimate an actual temperature diff in degrees F that would be great.

3) If you have a P337, what's your actual empty weight? What have you added that bumped it up significantly? What's the lowest empty weight I'm going to realistically find on a P337 without AC?

4) What are the differences between the 73-77 T337G (I think this is the official Cessna code for the early pressurized aircraft) and the 78-80 P337H? For some reason this is tough to find. It's often listed as "minor changes." I have found differences by manufacturing year (seat rails, tanks) but not by model letter.

So, please - talk me out of a pressurized plane!

Thanks for your help,

Jim C

Last edited by JimC : 08-15-12 at 12:09 PM.