View Single Post
Unread 04-19-22, 06:28 PM

Dan schultz is on a distinguished road
Alternator Warning System

Getting close to having my bird in the air. Been working on my Alternator warning system. Neither alt light would come on. My parts airplane, N3CY, had a AMF Portter Brumfield JRE1AD1 24v 10a reed relay on the board for the front alternator. While waiting for my 300-884 relays from computer components I acquired a number of the JRE1AD1 relays and installed them as depicted in the photo for the front and rear.

The front alt out light immediately worked rear did not. After hours of looking at the manuals, trying this and that, could not figure out why the rear large diode had battery voltage on both sides. The front alternator only had 5 volts on the anode side and the rear diode had 24 volts on the anode side with no alt light on the panel. Finally after looking at the tracks on the back of the pc board, where the relays are soldered in use opposite sides of the relays for the front compared to the rear. I unsoldered the rear relay repositioned it back in with the lettering upside down, and now I get 5 volts on the anode just like the front and the rear alt light is now on. Using a bright lite to light up the photocell on the panel increases the intensity of the alt lights making them easier to see. What a PINA.

Front alternator reed relay shown in pic.

Now to get my starter adapter back together to see if the lights go out with the alternators running.

Dan
67S
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CEE2B32F-C3E4-4AA9-9EEA-683772B0EC2D.jpeg (239.3 KB, 352 views)

Last edited by Dan schultz : 04-19-22 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Pic