View Single Post
Unread 12-17-03, 12:08 AM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
what broug me to asking the question "Proper Instruction" was as follow: The evening started with us taking off 1/2 hour before sunset. As we were flying, I noticed the giro horizon was reciding' I mentioned to the instructor and he say don't worry. We flew to a nearby airport to fuel up. The minute we arrived at the self serve pump, he departed the plane and went into the FBO to talk to the "prity ladies". I tried to use the pump and I could not get it to work, so yes I was Frustrated after 3 atemts. I thoug if he (my instructor)was here he could tell me how this pump works, after all this was my first time pumping. I walked a long way to the FBO, and expressed my opinion that he should not have left me and that it was getting dark. the FBO attendant help and I fueled the plane.
It was something simple the pum neded to be turn on on the back of the pump... A first timer....would not have figured it out.

when we got on the way it was prety dark (dusk) climing to 4000 (to go practice acelerated stalls) I noticed a layer forming bellow us the visibility was bad, and I though that - it being after sunset, a layer forming below us, the giro estabalizer Reciding, visibility bad, and my instructor wants me to go do stalls?.... I personaly did not felt confortable at all.... and I would have learn litle from him instructing me that night. When I say "hei! there is a layer forming below us", he say, "dont' worry". I say I worry! And told him that I wanted to return to the airport. he did not like me telling him that.
and got upset....saying, "go ahead if that is what you want to do".
I had to do a 360 degree coordinated spiral to get below the cloud layer and headed for the airport.
After I landed we had a long talk.... He Asked me "Do you think I am going to endanger your and my life if I tell you it is OK to keep fliying under thouse conditions"?

I responded that to me it was a dengerous condition. he responded that to the west there was clear airpace with no clouds.
I say I did not fill confortable.

So we parted ways.

Did I over reacted?

Any Body care to coment.