View Single Post
Unread 07-26-20, 03:13 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
My WX950

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolpilot View Post
I should be adding a cargo pack to my 337G at my next annual and will need to move the Strike Finder antenna. Where is your antenna mounted? Pictures would be nice.
Many moons ago I found he only shop that actually skin-mapped the airplane correctly, Excel avionics in Hartford CT. When challenged, all the other shops just put it someplace that was convenient for them, degrading performance.

Stormscopes are radio receivers: the higher the noise floor at the antenna input, the less sensitive the signal received. The receiver turns down is gain to get some signal above the noise. The ideal installation therefore takes a stormscope antenna fed to a spectrum analyzer with engines running, no T storms within 250 miles, to search for a quiet spot on the airframe.

Thunderstorms are generally UP, so antenna should be on top.

Mine ended up over the pilots head.

I recall them saying they were seeing 50 VOLT spikes all over the airframe, which would have greatly reduced its sensitivity.

In a quiet spot, internal automatic gain on the receiver goes up, and they become MUCH more sensitive.

The pattern of RF noise on any given airframe will vary. In the wrong place and either sensitivity drops, or you are cahsing endless noise sources.

IF you can try feeding the antenna when off to some form of display and find a quiet place.
Fort Washington, MD 20744