Thread: Garmin 396
View Single Post
Unread 08-01-05, 12:21 AM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a GDL69 hooked up to a Garmin 530. The GDL69 uses XM weather. XM weathr is, in short, fantastic. If it works the same way on the 396, you'll love it. Actually, it will probably work better, at least initially, on the 396 than it does on the 53I0, because many of the features of the GDL69 won't be available until Garmin does their WAAS upgrade, which has now been pushed off until the end of next year.

If I had a chance to do it over again, I would buy the 396 instead of the GDL69. It is less money, has more features, and would give me a second GPS which is also battery operated.

One thing to watch out for, which even the avionics dealers weren't aware of. There is a failry powerful magnet in the base of the "smart receiver" of the 396. You are supposed to put the receiver on your glare shield, so that it can see the XM satellite...not a great place to have a magnet. Many people have reported compass deviations of 5 to 20 degrees because of the magnet. And it is sealed into the unit. Garmin says if you take it out, you void the warranty.

Mark