View Single Post
Unread 05-13-02, 06:14 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

What I would use on the bottom for the oil is mineral sprits.... it is the least offensive for paint... good old laundry soap and water if not alkline is good... I use Joy for mine...

You want to check for alkiline content in any thing that you will wash the plane down with... then a good coating of Pledge on the leading surfaces... or waxing the whole plane with it works good...

Murphys soap is another item we use to help clean things up... but, we stay away from the Lac thiners MeK, acatone and others that will craze the plastic or hurt the paint....

some items like simple green will work... but, should be flushed real well with water... and of course the old steam cleaning for the stuborn stuff that just won't come off any other way ... but, be careful of high pressure washers... as the abrasive in the water.. dirt, rocks and small children.... can cut the paint too... so if you have to go to that extream... be very careful... so you don't hurt the paint or the metal...

Fresh water that has no clorox in it... is best for alu... as the alu doesn't get reactive for water... and will protect its self... its the chemicals in it that you have to watch out for... but, water is universal solvent... and will desolve anything...

Rain water is best... providing their is not a steel mill down the road.. smile..

thanks again... for the lift... G.M