View Single Post
Unread 03-26-10, 12:12 PM

N5ZX is on a distinguished road
No biggie.
I'm glad to be alive and dealing with it.
But to calm the waters a bit I'd like to point out that while there are problems, it can be argued very effectively that the mods didnt cause the accident in NJ. The pilot exceeded limitations. Its that simple. If I mount a C-5 wing on my skymaster (that's would be fun to see...I gotta try that on photoshop) and I exceed the limitations....they're gonna break.

If the wing failure in NJ happened at ...3000 agl.....it might have been survivable. If he hadnt pulled up so sharply... If he hadnt gone so fast... If he hadnt overstressed it in the past... If the air density had been lower.... If he had fuel in the tips... If he hadnt had a full-boat....

There's a LOT of factors involved. They all came together at one point in space and time to create a tragedy which fortunately has made us take a deeper look at our wings and go.... "Hmmmm...."

Owen just sent out an email 20 minutes ago, reminding folks to be sure their placards are installed, and he included copies of the SAIB, so he is starting to surface.

If I were him, I'd put on my Captain Proactive cape and start driving this beast instead of getting drug by it. If ya let go of a horse's raigns and spur him in the flank, your gonna have a hell of a ride. But if you manage it along the way, ya just might not get bucked off. (now imagine I said all that with a twang)

He has a PMA fab-shop (for now). He should use the Cessna factory engineering diagrams to manuafacture fiberglass replacement wings. Lighter and stronger than the factory wing and incorporate all the latest bells and whistles. AND Circumvent the damn SID in the process.

Chump to champ in a heartbeat.

This is all still pretty fresh. Like Herb says, we're still waiting for the dust to settle.

Patience is a virtue (but I aint no saint)

Cole

Last edited by N5ZX : 03-26-10 at 12:19 PM.