View Single Post
Unread 03-16-05, 08:24 PM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
May Meeting Motivation

Recently returned from a trip to MTH and EYW. Seems I had a similar itinerary to Mr. Schmitz's previously posted travel notes. A few days soaking up sunshine on a white sand beach is good for one's ill temper. Attached are a few photos which I hope may be good advertising for the Key West meeting. One is of Miami Beach, similar to Mr. Martin's scenic recommendation. The sunset and the beach scene are on Vaca Key (Marathon). Fuel at Marathon Jet was $2.67 for self service and parking was $10 per night. An afternoon parked at City Island Flying Service was $16. We flew the east coast of Florida from JAX all the way down. Jacksonville, Daytona, the Space Coast, Fort Lauderdale & Miami and the Keys was well worth the extra miles when the weather is clear. Mr. Martin or others familier with operations around EYW may wish to comment on local procedures for an easterly departure. The only glitch of the trip was departing EYW's rny. 9. EYW's delta airspace abuts the Navy airspace to the east. Inbound everything works smoothly, transitioning thru Navy approach, Navy tower, Key West tower but on departure there is apparently no coordination between the two towers. I was cleared for a VFR rny. 9 departure with a right turn out. About 3 miles south Key West tower hands me off to Navy tower. Calling Navy tower I received a very cold reception with "are you the one already in my airspace?". "Yes sir, I believe we are on the southwestern edge of it." "Well, I show you only three miles southwest." Then with great disgust "cleared on course, frequency change approved." Not wishing to agitate the bear further and not sure if I had actually busted his airspace without a clearance I let it drop but I still don't know what they expect. Are you actually supposed to be talking to both towers simultaneously? Anyway, Key West is fun, Duval Street is a circus, Sombrero Beach on Vaca Key is excellent. Marathon Jet is easy to work with and the scenery along the way is like nowhere else. Don't know if I can do two Keys trips plus SnF and CPA-New Orleans all in a three month period but we'll see. Safe & happy flying to all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image007.jpg (465.1 KB, 1012 views)