Thread: 100 hour
View Single Post
Unread 05-20-02, 12:49 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Angry

I wrote a long part of the process last night but, the web rejected it because I tried to put a picture in with it... from power point.. that I took back to a JPEG... but, all was lost I guess...

Anyway... look in the service manual and it will tell you what items need to be serviced, inspected... and yes your mechanic can do the work and deligate some of it down to you...

As tothe time on the items and what to look for it clearly shows in earlier pages what for instance the items on the nose gear they want you to look at... and what lubes and all to use... even though they say in the checklist... nose gear...

Now as to inspection and lubing...

Inspection is to be done by the mechanic... lubing can be deligated to the person doing the work like the owner/operator.. this is a simple manintance as required thing... and as such you are the one that can perform the work... I have a list of items that the owner/operator can preform on their aircraft... and if one looks in either the FARs or 42-13 apendex you can see what is allowed and not... basicly it is lubing adding fluids, checking levels and minor items that are simple in nature ... anything except sparkplugs and safetywiring the filters and torquing the pan nut and safetywiring it ... is about all the stuff that one can do without a supervision thing from a mechanic...

All these items that you do must be put in the log book... and noted...

One thing to remember... your bottom is borne by the plane and the lives that are in it are in your hands when you start to work on a plane... even putting in spark plugs wrong can end in disaster... so one might keep that in mind and make sure they are shown the correct way to do thing... least they meet the lawyers who are sitting on the fence looking for a lunch... to come by....

Items and times are to be accomplished at the times due... at/or each annual ... yes you do them all at annual ... or at least your supposed to...

As to when it clearly states in the manufacturs manual on maintance that they want things done during the time intervals... however, their are also the other parts that require their service also... i.e. you have the plane... and its manufacture, the engine and its.. the propeller and its... and then you have all the accessories and theirs... each has a service time and limits that you have to check... most have service manuals like the plane has... and in their they detail how to inspect and determine limits per their requirements...

Sounds like we need a nother session to cover this stuff again... 8 hours is just not enough time to cover everything...