View Single Post
Unread 11-25-21, 04:37 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Fuel selector valve

I have 1970 337E with the original, not simplified, fuel system with main and switch to aux tanks setup. Not the simplified later (G model and above I believe) fuel tank set up.

As part of my plan when I purchased aircraft I knew I would want fuel selector valve overhaul at some point. However that was forced upon me this season when my fuel selector valves locked and would not move into crossfeed position. If they wouldn't move into crossfeed, the concern was soon the wouldn't move between main and aux as well. I disconnected the cables and confirmed the problem was not the linkage but the valves themselves.

I had already done some search in the months before looking for overhaul options and could find no establishment that would overhaul the valves, which was why I stopped worrying about it. Briefly, McFarlane was hopeful when I called and they said they were "keeping a list" of requests for capabilities and my name was "added" to the list of 337 requests. But still nothing. Called multiple overhaul facilities. Other members here posted similarly no luck finding a facility.

I made many calls and searches to no avail regarding the issue of the fuel valve gasket trying to chase down anyone one with one or the original manufacture. Did find some interesting history of original manufacturer getting absorbed, called them, no help. No one making them.

So, looked like me and my shop were going to become the way to overhaul my valves. I had already purchased a terrible example of a valve off e-bay some months before to use for an autopsy. When it came, it looked like it had been under water for years and was frozen solid, non-functioning. If I could get that working, I figured I could do mine.

So, I am going to try and post pictures of what I did. My valves had locked up due to rust build up in the "cup" and this was making the "cam" (a cross shaped actuator that pushes the balls open to allow fuel to flow out of a portal into the main chamber, "cup") bind. I had also had a problem with one of my portals not providing positive cut-off and that was ultimately found to be deteriorated o-ring.

The inability to find a sealing gasket problem was resolved by simply tracing my original gasket on to some gasket material and cutting a duplicate and punching holes in it for the screws.

With care, the retaining rings for the springs and balls can be removed and reused and used a L-shaped pick to get the rings out. They can be "pressed" back in buy starting them by hand and using AN fitting to screw/press them all the way back down. Behind the balls, are the sealing o-rings. I measured and replaced. Be sure to use fuel resistant o-rings. The shaft of the selector also uses a fuel resistant o-ring. I cleaned this up and replaced o-ring, lubricated the shaft with aircraft grade fuel lube/grease (available aircraft spruce, etc). Reassembly was a snap. Punches were used to get the roll pins out and because autopsy valve was frozen, had to use a punch to get the selector with the cam out of the housing.

Hopefully pictures are self explanatory and this helps someone.

I ended up replacing cable linkage while I was at it and everything works better than before.

There is a limit on pictures so I will attach more pictures to a continuation of this post
Attached Images
File Type: png 337 fuel valve 15.png (280.3 KB, 627 views)
File Type: jpg 337 fuel valve 14.jpg (216.8 KB, 626 views)
File Type: jpg 337 fuel valve 13.jpg (123.3 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg 337 fuel valve 12.jpg (199.2 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpg 337 fuel valve 11.jpg (230.9 KB, 609 views)

Last edited by wslade2 : 11-25-21 at 04:54 AM.