View Single Post
Unread 01-19-19, 02:50 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Smile On the other hand

For perspective, I was a helicopter owner/pilot first. So transitioning to fixed wing for me was like learning to drive a submarine. All that stuff in the way out front. Cant see anything.

One of the reasons I liked the 'thrasher was at least the sides were wide open. Your head is ahead of the wing, so side view is basically unobstructed.

That said, I think the one piece out front makes a HUGE difference.

When mine was done a thousand years ago, it was time to replace the windshield because it had become so hazy. One particular landing into the setting sun had been like Lindbergh landing in Paris. I had to look out the sides to decide when to flare. That was it.

Being a relentless nerd, I did some research.

The original 337 windscreen is/was very thin, light, (weak) Plexiglas. I don't recall the thickness, but it was very thin. It was and remains today a single piece, with a center bracket for support. (That is of course after first weakening the windshield by drilling holes in it for the center support bracket!). So the old super thin Plexiglas definitely needs support.

When I was exploring this, there were still some old timers at Cessna very familiar with the airframe and testing. Cessna told me the original windscreen was thin Plexiglas, for weight and optics, because that's what they did back then. Any thicker would get heavy and wavy.

They also noted that the most sound reduction in any aircraft came from going thicker on the front window. Apparently lots of experience with single piece conversions on C210, 182 etc. Reduces the beat of props, wind, etc.

So I went with the thickest windshield I could get installed, and have never looked back.

And yes, it is a LOT quieter, and I MUCH prefer the unobstructed view.

From a helicopter pilot's perspective there is STILL that front engine, prop, and all those gauges in the way, but I've got used to it.

My T337D is NOT pressurized, which might be another factor to consider. Commercial jet windows blow OUT.

If you see how the window is installed, if done correctly it is NOT coming out. Nor if using modern thicker plastic is it ever going to break.

One of our based pilots, Alfonso, also on this board, researched this extensively before doing same with his 336. He was a former FAA inspector and could find zero incidence of any windshield issues or failures. That said, he did the STC and managed to hit a bird, or went into a thunderstorm and THEN hit a bird, so the window broke!

So don't do that.

Another strategic trick is I have the airplane tied down outside facing NORTH. Why? Well, the wings are facing SOUTH, so de-ice faster in the winter, AND the sun's angle of incidence on the modern Plexiglas is slight.

High end auto restoration friends had also told me to never use a cover, because they tended to accumulate grit underneath that ground the surfaces beneath in the wind.

After more than 20 years since the windshield was replaced, tied outside continuously in Washington summers and winters, with no cover, it is almost as clear as new.

The STC may actually be just one of those STCs designed to require you to pay them money for a piece that effects nothing. I would look into the actual history of issues, if any, then decide.

So far so good.
Fort Washington, MD 20744