View Single Post
Unread 12-16-08, 02:06 PM

Diamond Service is an unknown quantity at this point
Last Flight of SE-MBT

It was some busy minutes during the glide towards the cold below. Survival suit completely prepared and life vest put on and ready. Oliver sitting with life raft and some other equipment in his lap. I attempted to restart engines but of course without success. I drained the batttery trying to start engines so instrument lights were very weak. At about 3000 feet we decided to put the plane on the water just beside the ice. It was fairly easy to see the edge of the ice in the moonlight. Close to the water I selected full flaps and we hit the water with apprx 70 MPH. The nose went under and big chunks of ice crushed both windshields and the left side window. I put my right hand on the glareshield to brace myself. The aircraft stopped very rapidly and the water was up to our chest. Within seconds the cabin was completely under water. Oliver had the door open prior to impact but was now struggling to get it open. I got out through the left side window.Once out I pulled the inflate handle on my life vest and I was on the surface instantly. The left wingtip was resting on the ice and I used the wing to push myself up onto the ice. I looked back and saw Oliver in the water trying to get up on the wing. I was extremely worryed that the ice would carry our weight because it was moving and flexing a lot. Oliver boarded the ice crawling on the left wing. We talked about if we suffered any injuries and realized that the raft and other equipment was still in the aircraft. I started to crawl on the wing but the aircraft nosed down and went under. I got back on the ice and watched my company logo on the tailfin disappear into the dark water.

Last part of story to follow.

Troels.