View Single Post
Unread 08-08-05, 09:04 PM

Mark McConaughy is an unknown quantity at this point
Part 23 airplanes

ell I guess I'm telling my age but I remember when you had to be current in category, class AND TYPE. Yes, it use to be the rule that if you were current in a Cessna 172 you could not fly a PA-28 to haul passengers unless you went out and did at least 3 takeoffs and landings. Well in 1975 the FAA changed that and for part 23 airplanes (those under 12,500 lbs.) you only had to be current in category and class.

I suspect that some of these companies in question only require that a pilot be current in category and class. I have to admit over the years I have been put in a position where I had to fly an aircraft in which I had never flown that "type" before. And yes, normally aspirated part 23 airplanes are pretty much alike. Or are they? How many times have you picked up one of the trades and read I learned about flying from that or aftermath and encountered a story where an otherwise competent pilot did so stupid as to be beyond belief. I know myself I have done a few things over the years that in retrospect were not the brightest moves in the world. In looking back at that, what I realize is that in almost every one of those situations I got there by being in a hurry or complacent.

Guess what I'm saying is no matter what you are flying take the time to do it right. In some circles it is said "there is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over". Trouble is in the aviation world we do not always have the opportunity to do it over, so we really need to do it right the first time. There is no substitute for a good check out, especially for those whose experience is limited.