View Single Post
Unread 09-25-05, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I attempted, without much luck, to diffuse the original spat three years ago between GMAs and the supporters of lean of peak ("LOP") operation (including Walter). Let me try to cool things again.

First, Walter returned to this forum, at least in part, because some members (Mark McConaughy among them) value his inputs and prefer that he stay. Thus, I think Big Al 08's comments above are unwarranted. Maybe he'll re-think the matter and buy my argument that some of the other members want Walter's participation.

Second, the abusive participant was warned, then edited, and finally kicked off the forum several months ago. And this was the second time, since the same happened three years ago. Therefore, Walter's comments that this forum allows bullies to interrupt scientific dialog and that the forum's moderators are unable/unwilling to enforce civility is also unwarranted.

At this year's Skymaster Meeting and Fly-In in Key West I took the "against" LOP side of that debate, so I don't see fully eye-to-eye with Walter. But I still think he's very knowledgeable about engine operation -- especially combustion matters -- and welcome his input. You don't have to agree with him, but we're all entitled to listen to what he has to say. Especially now, Walter, given the forum's moderators continuing efforts to foster civil dialog.

Ernie

P.S. I wrote this after Big Al 08's message, hoping to post before Walter read the forum, but he read it while I was writing.