Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-28-07, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Flying to the Bahamas for the Fly-in

Now that the holidays are behind us, I wanted to address the issue of flying to the Bahamas. I’m thinking of those of you who may be considering attending the 2007 SOAPA Fly-in.

If you have misgivings about a VFR flight to the Bahamas, relax. In addition to being a beautiful flight, with breathtaking views, it’s a breeze. In fact, if you will be flying first to Florida from another state, that part of your trip is quite a bit harder, when you consider TFRs, MOAs, Class B and C airspace, etc.

There are only three special things needed to fly VFR to and from the Bahamas:
1. Each flight must be on an active flight plan.
2. On the return trip, you first call U.S. Customs to give them your arrival time.
3. You use a special squawk code on your return flight.

Let’s look at the outbound flight. You file your flight plan at 1-800-WX-BRIEF, you open it when you get airborne and you close it before landing. Forget to close it? No sweat -- tell the Bahamian Customs officer and he will close it for you. If you’re departing from South Florida (Miami to Palm Beach), it’s a clean shot, with no controlled airspace until you get to Freeport. If you’re departing from further north (e.g., Daytona Beach), there is a Warning Zone (akin to an MOA) en route. It’s clearly shown in the Miami Sectional and you handle it the same easy way you would handle similar airspace in the U.S. (i.e., go around it if the briefer tells you it’s hot).

And when you arrive, all you need is your passport -- no aircraft registration, no pilot’s license, no insurance certificate, no radio operator’s license. Just your passport.

On your return flight, after you file your flight plan, you call the Customs office at the U.S. airport where you will be landing. Give the Customs officer your aircraft’s tail number and arrival time, and he’ll ask a) number of people, b) citizenship, and c) whether it’s a private or charter flight. Then, when you climb out of the Freeport controlled airspace, and before entering the U.S. ADIZ shown on the Miami Sectional, you call Miami Radio to get the special Customs squawk code. That’s it. You’re done.*

On arrival in the U.S., in addition to your passport, you will need to show aircraft registration, pilot’s license and medical certificate. And, if you don’t have one already, you’ll pay $25 for a yearly Customs decal.

And, of course, with the Skymaster’s twin engines, there shouldn’t be any concerns about ditching. In fact, since your over-water hop is never more than 50 nm from land, FAA regulations don’t even require a lifejacket (but I wouldn’t make the trip without one).

Anyhow, I hope this answers any reservations you might have.

In the weeks ahead I will be posting detailed flight procedures for the trip. I’m going to spoon-feed you. I will not only amplify on the three special things listed above, but I will also include the common things that you do in all flights (like monitoring 121.5 and making radio calls as you approach your arrival airport), plus the frequencies you’ll be using and even backup frequencies, plus how to get your return flight briefing and file from the Bahamas, plus how to call U.S. Customs for free from the Bahamas. I’ll even tell you what to say to ATC.

And, of course, in addition to these procedures, Paul and I (who fly often to the Bahamas) will have a briefing before we leave Florida.

If you have any questions, either now or after you read the detailed procedures, please feel free to call me -- my phone number is on the Fly-in web page.

Ernie

* And don’t think for one moment that failure to squawk the Customs code gets you into a heap of trouble, such as the sudden appearance of an F16 on your wing. In fact, if you fail to enter the squawk code or your transponder fails, they’ll call you on 121.5 and will probably let you in when they identify you – it’s happened to me!
Unread 03-31-07, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Fuel Availability & Price

For those of you starting to plan the flight to Lucaya, here's some info on fuel. There is fuel at Freeport (MYGF). 100LL is currently $5.35 per gallon (as you get closer to launch, if you want to check price, call 1-242-351-2525). That price is comparable to full service at larger U.S. airports (such as KORL in Orlando), but www.airnav.com shows substantially lower prices at other airports in Florida (e.g., full-service 100LL at Sebring/KSEF is now $3.22). There is no fuel at Great Harbour Cay (MYBG). Obviously, since you're flying over water, err on the side of more fuel on board.

If you have questions, call me at 1-305-665-8352 (10 AM is best time).

Ernie
Unread 05-11-07, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Weather for your trip to SOAPA 2007

The figures below show precipitation forecasts for much of the east coast and the Bahamas for the period 8 AM to 8 PM, Sunday through Wednesday. Freeport (MYGF) and Great Harbour Cay (MYBG) are marked on the first figure. No areas of heavy precipitation (yellows and red) are forecast for the area; this far out, however, the forecasts are only for guidance and you need to get updated info on takeoff. If these forecasts hold, there is no rain on Tuesday from South Florida to Great Harbour Cay and no rain on Wednesday from Great Harbour Cay to Freeport. These images are from the Navy's forecast office at https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/PUBLIC

Have a safe flight.

Ernie
Attached Images
File Type: gif luc final.gif (12.6 KB, 966 views)