Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-22-07, 12:06 AM

ConwayB is an unknown quantity at this point
Request advice on servicing engines

Hello all,

I am in the process of crunching numbers with the hope of purchasing a 337 within 12 months and ferrying it back to Australia.

My background is primarily military aviation; Black Hawks, Chinooks, Squirrels (A-Stars) and now EMS/Border Security in Bell 412s and 206s. My fixed wing time is limited - about 300hrs, with the rest of my 3000 hrs in turbine helos.

So here are some questions to get my piston-engined fixed wing knowledge rolling:

Is there a recommended time for engine overhaul of the Continentals or is it based on an as required basis. I have seen some posts talking about O/H at 1300hrs up to 2300 hrs. (I searched the Teledyne website but found no hard numbers).

Also, what sort of dollars have you parted with for a standard O/H without major work being required. (I know, it's a nebulous question... but good stories and bad stories are welcome for comparison).

Same questions for the blades.

I know that two-bladed props are supposedly more aerodynamically efficient, (at least in helicopters that's the case) but do three-bladed props give you any more advantages?

Excuse my ignorance but I have been fortunate in my aviation career in that the government has picked up the tab for maintenance. Soon it will be my turn to pay the bills.

(Don't worry about the US-AUS differences. Ball park figures are good for educational purposes).

I will be doing more research, purchasing as much reading material and getting more F/W experience over the next 12 months... and then hopefully the sky's the limit.

Safe flying everyone.
Conway
www.ipas.com.au