Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-04-08, 08:52 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
EDM engine analyzer

OK, I bought an EDM-760 with fuel flow at OshKosh and just got it installed at annual time.

They brought back my plane today and I took it up for a spin and it is NOT intuitive...and hey, I'm a PC person, so you'd think I would be ok with that

Seriously, I read the entire booklet and think I now have the basics ready for my next flight tomorrow. But it offers the ability to set alarms as opposed to the default alarms.

Was wondering if anyone knew exactly where to look to find both normal numbers and high(ie alarm) numbers for:
CHT
EGT
TIT

Also the K-factor for the fuel flow (if diff than default setting).

I have a T337C, which has two TSIO-360A/AB (front/rear) engines turbocharged.

Any guidance is appreciated.

You can email me directly at rmorris@agsi.us
________
Ford xy falcon gt

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 11:57 AM.
Unread 10-04-08, 10:47 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
I know the red line for CHT is 460, but I would set the alarm much lower. Personally, I don't like seeing any CHT over 400 ever, 380 or less in cruise. The TIT redline is 1650 according to the TCM data sheet for that engine. I am not aware of any limit for EGT.
Unread 10-05-08, 07:28 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your K-factor is dependent on the fuel flow transducers installed on your engines.
Unread 10-05-08, 11:40 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
I have had a EDM760 for some time now. I think the most important bit of kit in the panel and I like the data logging. You are correct that its operation is not intuitive at all. I have added a page in my check list which gives the operational high points.

In terms of set-up, check the numbers in your POH. Alternatively, TCM will have the numbers defined. I set the CHT alarm at 380 which is well below red line on the basis that high heat is enemy one for the heads. I have set the EGT alarm at 1550 on the basis that I will see red line if there are valve problems and excess combusion in the exhaust. The K-values are on the transducers. If they are 201B's, by memory, the values are 29.45.

In real life, if I get a long hold for takeoff, I may see the CHT's go slightly higher, but the alarms work great. When just installed it showed me a couple of places where the baffling need work to keep the CHT's in line.

On reaching cruise, the lean find is great. When on a long trip, it is nice to know everything is ok on each cyl. It is a great diagnostic tool.

You will very quickly get a good feel for how your particular aircraft works and what it's normal reading are in flight.

My only wish was an alarm on the OAT as an ice alert.

One final note is that I replaced the spark plug gasket CHT probes for the piggy-backed units so I see all the CHT's the same.

Regards - Dave