Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 07-07-02, 11:05 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Transponder options

Hello,

Your webmasters have returned from a fabulous four days in Nelson, BC, with a stop to clear customs on the way in Castlegar, BC. I recommend both to pilots who would like to fly to someplace with a bit of a challenge (but not overly). It is BEAUTIFUL country, very dramatically steep 6000' hills surrounding a river/lake with the airport and town right on the lake (description applies to both places, but Nelson is the prettier of the two).

Anyway, sadly my transponder died on the way back, and now only four days before Arlington, drat! I am going to try to get my avionics shop to look at it tomorrow through a combination of begging, tantrums and bribes, but if it does not work, does anyone other there have a 28v KT76 (not KT76A) that they could loan or sell me on short notice? I am inclined to replace the one I have with a Garmin GTX-327 if mine has lost the cavity tube, but if not, I hope to get mine repaired. I just might not be able to get it done in time. I'm also interested in shop suggestions in Oregon or Washington that I check with if my shop is too busy and the bribes don't work....

I need this fixed by Thursday afternoon. I need to be in Arlington Thursday night, then in Canada again on Saturday, and I need a transponder to cross the border...

I have no idea what is wrong with the transponder, only that it failed hard, and did not work for 3 sectors and approach control, so it is probably truly failed.

Any advice, suggestions, would be much appreciated.

Kevin