Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-14-08, 07:31 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Jake,
I put my GPS antenna on the glareshield as far forward as I can get it, and the XM antenna is suction cupped to the very top of the windshield. This seems to work ok for me. Permanent mounting would be nice, but very expensive in a Pressurized 337. Not as big an expense in a non-pressurized plane though.
Unread 08-14-08, 07:43 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAxel View Post
...and the XM antenna is suction cupped to the very top of the windshield.
Hmmm, never thought of that. Maybe one of the G-Force platforms (the one the XM Wx is currently mounted on) may come to goood use afterall...

So where or how did you route the wires? I absolutely detest spaghetti in a plane, so I know I will have to make a plan with that so that the wires are very neatly tucked away.

I am gonig to see if the second G-Force platform will be able to mount my DVD camcoder on too.
Unread 08-15-08, 03:07 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Jakes,
I just tucked the wires behind all the plastic trim on the windshield posts, and ran it down to behind the panel, then over to the pilot's yoke. The XM weather receiver is in a pocket near the copilots feet, power for the computer and the XM receiver comes from the cigar lighter under the co-pilot's yoke. All of it is tied up nicely, and the only wiring you see is the bundle coming from under the panel to the pilot's control wheel. I use a Sony UX280P touch screen computer as a display, it is the same size as a Garmin x96 essentially. I am a happy AnywhereWX XP user. Come on down to KHIO, I will show you!!
Unread 08-18-08, 11:01 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Jakes

You are making this way to hard, think simple. I have my 496 on the control yoke with the garmin factory mount. I had the avionics shop wire in a 24 V so I don't have to have to use the CIG lighter plug. The antenna, power and phones from the 496 are nicely wrapped with some nylon spring tube that holds them all together but provides firm flexibilty. I keep the XM antenna seperate so that I can transfer it to my other plane with the 496. Then I just use the second CIG plug in the other plane, I have a second antenna already in the other plane for the 196 and I am ready to go. In the main plane I keep the GPS antenna on the glareshield, far left side tucked in between the glareshild and windshild. I have never had a reception problem. GPS antenna stays in the plane so it's wrapped in the nylon spring tube. I do like Jeff and tuck the wire down behind the plastic and it hides really nice. For the XM antenna I just set it up next to the GPS antenna and keep it away from the compass as far as I can. Never had a reception problem yet. I will post some pictures if you would like.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 08-19-08, 09:07 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Herb, please post some pictures. Might help us all.
Unread 08-21-08, 01:28 AM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rainer View Post
Herb, please post some pictures. Might help us all.
AHA! I'n not alone in this, afterall...

There's a Chinese (I think) saying: When you ask the question, you may be a fool for a minute, but if you don't ask the question, you'll be a fool for life.

I will experiment with placements over the coming weekend, and report back. I have never subscribed to XM since I bought the unit almost a yeaqr ago, but I think it's high time.
Unread 08-24-08, 06:38 PM
Keven

Or . . .

I've got a 496 that works flawlessly in 2 airplanes but works intermittently in a third airplane. What I finally discovered after much angst and troubleshooting in the 3rd is that for some reason, when I have a certain nav frequency tuned in to either radio (Narcos)(109.7 -- my ILS freq at GMU), neither the GPS nor wx signal will activate.

Change the freq, and all is well within 5 minutes. Pete, you can explain this RFI (I assume)mystery to us common folk. It not only does this to my 496, but also does it to my Anywhere Map Wx PDA. So clearly, there's some sort of blocking of signals going on in the 3rd plane (TwinCo).

So, back to the original query, it may not be an antenna issue, but maybe a freq issue on a nav/com.

FWIW

Keven

P.S. Did I read somewhere that Larry sold his 337?
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:27 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: