Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 841 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Unread 10-05-09, 08:42 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Sid Program

Larry,
Thank you and the others that are watching out for our interest. I know Cessna would like to treat all 337's in a blanket Sid program to cover their asses with all the lawyers wanting to sue. We need to prove most 337's are low time birds in good shape and maintained. They must look at most crashes are pilot era and not the fault of the aircraft. Good luck, Dale
Unread 10-05-09, 05:39 PM

LeeChris is an unknown quantity at this point
Larry,

I want to add my thanks to all of you who are involved in this process. I am sure none of us want to be in the sky in unsafe airplanes. On the other hand, it appears that Cessna has mixed motives behind it actions. Neither do I want to spend a bunch on $ needlessly on unnecessary inspections.

Lee Henning
Unread 10-25-09, 05:34 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
The response concerning the Skymaster SIDs (Supplemental Inspection Documents) has been completed by the SOAPA steering committee and is on the desk of Cessna engineers in Wichita . A lot of work went into the final document and your steering committee pushed to deliver this in a timely manner. The final document is 38 pages of information and comments from all aspects of SOAPA’s concerns. From what the steering committee knows so far, Cessna engineers are re-writing the SIDs based on comments from the first meeting in Wichita and a visit to Commodore Aerospace in Okalahoma City . During the visit at Don Nieser’s facility, Commodore Aerospace, the Cessna engineers were able to see airframes and parts of Skymaster’s first hand. Don had areas set up with different parts of Skymasters that pertained to specific SIDs. This was paramount for these engineers to see, touch and experience. SOAPA and the steering committee is indebted to Don and the time that he and his employees spent before and while Cessna was at his facility. A great big thank you to Don for his hospitality to Cessna. The steering committee is hopeful that this experience and our comments will help minimize the impact of any SIDs which are ultimately promulgated.

The next SID meeting is the first week of December at Cessna’s Wichita offices. SOAPA will be present at the meeting to review the second draft of the Skymaster SIDs. The steering committee is hoping to be able to have a chance to comment on these second drafts but there is no guarantee that we will. Cessna may have the documents in final form and publish them as drafted. As far as the steering committee knows Cessna is trying to have these documents finished by early 2010.

If you would like a copy of the comments that were sent to Cessna please contact webmaster@337skymaster.com
Unread 10-26-09, 02:26 AM

robw is on a distinguished road
SID Implementation

I would like to add my thanks to all who have worked on this and I guess that would have to include the people at Cessna who took the trouble to visit Don Nieser and (I trust) tried to get a realistic assessment of the situation.

At the meeting with Cessna in December I would urge the committee to also discuss the manner in which these SIDs are to be implemented. The cost is one aspect but most of that cost will be labour related and therefore the down time is likely to be considerable. If it is implemented as an immediate directive resulting in the grounding of our 337s the effect would be devastating. I guess a number of other commercial operators will be in the same boat. If on the other hand it is implemented with some flexibility so that we can stage them through the process over a period of a few years, we can probably manage it.
Unread 10-26-09, 11:06 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for the email containing the 38 page report - came within an hour of my request!

It may be premature at this point but I would welcome a request to help pay for the work and expenses being incurred and help Don at Commodore, if he needs it.
Unread 10-26-09, 07:22 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes Larry,
Thanks for the report.
Unread 10-26-09, 10:17 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
A great deal of thanks needs to be extended to Don Nieser. He shut down both of his businesses for several days to prepare for the meeting with Cessna.

I would say that if you need prop work, or parts, call Don first.
Unread 10-28-09, 01:35 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rainer View Post
Thank you for the email containing the 38 page report - came within an hour of my request!

It may be premature at this point but I would welcome a request to help pay for the work and expenses being incurred and help Don at Commodore, if he needs it.

Your support is welcomed

If you would like to contribute to SOAPA and the recent project that the steering committee has undergone, we would really appreciate your support. All donations (sorry not tax deductable) would be deposited directly into the SOAPA Bank Account currently managed by our Treasurer Beth Fiala. A few years ago many members donated to the website and management of this effort when Kevin McKenzie was at the controls. This was before we had a general fund to help these kinds of projects moving forward. SOAPA does not have a large general fund right now so any support is wonderful.
This last project with Cessna is still on going. We will be incurring more expenses as we attend meetings, have conference calls and Express Mail/postage for copies to be distributed. The steering committee has worked hard on this project and all members of the committee have donated their time. Any donations will go directly into the general fund so that these expenses can be paid when needed. Please send all contributions to:

Beth Fiala
C/O Glasscages.com, LLC
1500 E Piney Rd
Dickson, TN 37055

Make checks payable to: Skymasters Owners and Pilots Association

Don Nieser has already contributed with the meeting at his facility. Please remember that Don has more Skymaster parts (new and used) than any other facility in the world. If you need something please call Don first and give him the chance to have the business. This is the least we can do to thank him for all he has done. Don can be reached at:

Commodore Aerospace Corp.
6221 Commodore Lane
OKC, OK 73162-6814
Phone: 405.722.4079 Cell: 405.503.4686
nieser.02.337parts@juno.com

Don also has a complete prop shop in his facility
We will try to keep you updated as best we can. Stay tuned and thanks for you support.

Herb Harney
Chair
SOAPA SID STEERING COMMITTEE

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 10-28-09, 03:37 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
I will send Beth a check and I always have Don in mind for anything regarding a C-337, but will be willing to help him as well.