Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-13-19, 09:47 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
New CB Panel

Dr. Dave,
My apologies for the delayed reply, but thank you so much for the info and direction. I ordered the CB's and copper (from Quick Ship Metals) you referred to, and assembled my CB panel over the weekend. It took some time to get the layout right, as I not only wanted to use the original face plate, but wanted to have the circuits laid out in a logical fashion. I have an expanded avionics ("electronics" in Cessna Language) bus given the new avionics I am installing in the aircraft. I have had a custom vinyl overlay being printed in the original Cessna font, and so the panel will look very original.

I am now in the process of wiring up the new CB Panel, and it is taking a little bit of time since all the terminal ends need to be upsized for the #8 screws. My 1966 model has 30A alternators, but I have replaced the wiring from the alternators with 10 AWG (original was 12 AWG) and all new wiring and terminal ends for the entire GEN control system. I have replaced and moved the shunts for the two alternators, installing Hall effect sensors with a new gauge from Aerospace Logic , VA202K. They were able to reprogram the gauge to read "Front" and "Rear" from the typical "Left" and "right" in most twin gauges.

What seemed like a herculean task, is not too bad once you dive into it. Thanks for the encouragement. Not only has this allowed me to go through and inspect every aspect of the electrical system, but I now know it so well. I even dream (more like night terrors) of electrical schematics and wire numbers. I have put my Dymo label maker through its paces creating new heat shrink wire labels for all the new wire runs.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New CB Panel.jpg (109.9 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpg Old CB mess.jpg (117.4 KB, 668 views)
Unread 05-13-19, 03:16 PM

DrDave is on a distinguished road
Jeff:

In looking closely at the new panel it appears that you have the taller 3TC breakers. Is there enough clearance on the back side for those? I love the picture of your old circuit panel, otherwise known as what could possibly go wrong here. Your new panel looks good. Are you doing a dedicated avionics bus? It is interesting to see the burned terminal connection in the bottom left of your old circuit panel. That was causing problems somewhere.

You are doing a really nice job on this project. This will be a great system once installed.

Dave

Last edited by DrDave : 05-13-19 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 05-13-19, 03:39 PM

Tall breakers

Dave,
Yes, it is a tight clearance. Without the sidewall in place, there is clearance, but it is close. I just double checked my part numbers, and it looks like I did order the tall ones...dammit. I ordered the 3TC7, not 3TC2!!!! Looks like I will be ordering those 3TC2 breakers today!!!! That should give me an extra 0.5".

Thanks for questioning me on that. When I fit it over the weekend, I was not happy with the clearance, but felt once the sidewall panel was it, it would give me some more...but if I can put in lower profile CB's, that is much better in the long run.

Yes, I am doing a dedicated Avionics Bus - the lower row (RH side of picture) will be the avionics bus, controlled by a Avionics master in the panel.

After seeing your pictures of the old CB panel, I looked at mine and could not believe how bad it was. Some smoke was definitely let out of that one wire on mine - not to mention the crappy aluminum bus bar...barely rated for the Skymaster system.
Jeff
Unread 05-13-19, 03:46 PM

Jeff:

You may want to consider a spacer between the panel and the mounting holes. This would look like a license plate frame. I'll send you pictures. I would also encourage you to line the panel area with thin pieces of polycarbonate. The biggest offenders in your picture is the tie bars. The tie bar you have pictured should be good for 400 amps. I made the same mistake with the 3TC-7's the first time as well.

Dave
Unread 05-13-19, 03:54 PM

Tie Bar

Dave,
The tie bar is good for 428 Amps...ha ha. Yes, I used a wide piece, however that does not add anymore height than a skinny one - but you are right, that is what makes it tight. I would love to see your pictures of it mounted - had considered some spacers or improvement of mounting it rather than just using the side panel as a "gasket".

Planning on a thin Lexan lining for it - installed on aircraft side of the panel. Especially for skin side and top (prevent FOD from dropping down into back of panel is paramount for me).
Thanks for the help!
Jeff
Unread 05-13-19, 03:57 PM

I will take some pictures for you. The 3tc-2 breakers will make a big difference.
The jumpers can be at the far end of the bus. That way it won't be so busy up where the alternator leads attach.

Dave