Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-11-19, 03:10 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I've heard from two parties that CLT is a small advantage.

Looking your personal numbers there starts to confirm my suspicion that these changes really apply to novice pilots (read, "me"). There was an article in Flying Mag earlier this year about this: https://www.flyingmag.com/aviation-i...ce-is-changing. It's level of clarity is perhaps a bit 'IMC', but it alludes to this in any case.
Unread 09-11-19, 03:30 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Just received a quote from the same agent that last year put me at around 3500 as a novice pilot, and then 2500 as an MEL and IFR pilot with 200 hours in type. The quote was $7000 and an estimated 4000 respectively. They said the market is dramatically different than even 6 months ago. I've just been knocked out of twin aviation altogether.

Going to a C182, was somehow estimated at $800. I'm speechless. Guess it was nice chatting with you all over the past few years ...
Unread 09-11-19, 09:22 PM

Multimotor is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that!

That's bad news for both of us, since if the insurance market tightens, my pool of potential buyers shrinks.
Unread 09-17-19, 03:09 PM

B2C2 is on a distinguished road
FWIW I just bound insurance today through AOPA. last year it was $1942, this year its $2261, so a roughly 16% increase with no change in coverage. My airplane is a T337D, non P. Hull value $93K, $1M liability. I have about 400 hours in type. When I first started my insurance was about $5K. I have occasionally checked Avemco pricing and found them to be un-competitive with the AOPA quote, but I didn't do it this year.
Unread 09-20-19, 02:24 PM

etv100Fly is on a distinguished road
Insurance 337C non T

Greetings ! My coverage for lats year, no hull and Central America Coverage $750.00. Paid $30,000 for my bird and fly her down to Nicaragua. Still going strong. She is expendable should I loose and engine as 30K for a rebuild is a death sentence for her. I have 400 hours or so left in her. That's a few more years. I figure. Capt Leo
Unread 09-24-19, 01:21 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Insurance put me at about $4000 with my spring of this year 337E normally aspirated purchase. I had no time in 337 and will need 25 hrs dual with an experienced instructor or one that has received sign off / time from another 337 instructor. I was lucky to find an older instructor (doing biannuals of former owner) who would educate my local guy. My existing insurer would not provide coverage because I am keeping my single and they won't insure two aircraft-one owner.

For a while, part of the expense of ownership is going to be other people paid to fly with me. But I consider that appropriate in the current world. Many fields are requiring monitoring of newbies for increasing periods of time versus shorter training of yester-year due to legal/insurance reasons.
Unread 09-24-19, 11:14 AM

dan1000 is on a distinguished road
Insurance is always highly personal, since people's tolerance to various kinds of risk (and the size of the target on their backs) is an individual thing.

Airika Ackermann at Sutton James obtained the following for me this year, from underwriter Allianz Global Aviation. I'm a 1,000 hour commercial/multi/IFR airplane pilot with a CE500 type rating, and also a private/VFR helicopter pilot. I include this info so that those with more or less experience can have it as reference. When I first bought my P337, I had zero time in type. At the time of this year's renewal, I had 72 hours in type. The underwriter required 3 hours of training with a pilot who had 500+ hours in type.

Liability only (no hull): $100k per-passenger limit, $1m per occurrence: $1,065/yr.

Raising the per-passenger to $250k would have added about $600/yr.

Raising the per occurrence above $1m was "not available", though I likely would have bought it if it was.

Adding hull would have added about $2700/yr, which simply didn't seem worth it to me. I can withstand the financial loss of the hull, therefore didn't need to buy the insurance.

Bottom line: For me, $89/mo.

Dan

PS: Now if I could only figure out how to buy 100LL at $2.50/usg instead of double that (or more). Thankfully, my airplane is a dream to maintain, since the previous owner and I have been extremely proactive on maintenance. What I love about the P337 is that if you buy the right one, it's a comfortable, capable, fast, reliable, safe machine, that doesn't cost that much to buy or operate. Why the rest of the world seems to have overlooked this model is beyond my ability to comprehend. At 100h/yr and $5/usg (if I'm lucky), I spend about $12k - $15k on 100LL. This dominates my cost of flying. Compared to fuel, all the other expenses (parking, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, training, "cost of money", registration/taxes) are far less significant.