Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-08-21, 04:19 PM

stevew is on a distinguished road
tough nuts

Tom,
Those mag hold down nuts are a bugger to get torque properly. I'm not surprised that they came loose. Hopefully you got the engine shut down in time and no damage.

When we got our 336, the mag mounting gaskets were shot and leaking all over the place. It was a pain to get the mags removed and replaced and properly torqued. Gotta take a lot of stuff off to get access to those nuts. Can't hurry it, just gotta bite the bullet and take stuff apart.

Steve
Unread 12-08-21, 05:19 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
access

You are 100% correct....you have to remove things and take your time. Removing the baffling (which you have to remove other stuff to get out) lets you at least see the inside nut/stud. I taped the washer to a flexible shaft to be able to get it in there and slip it over the stud. The lock nut was easy enough to stick in a socket with an extension and get that in there - just have to find the right extension combination so that it is a little longer than the mag, but not too long to hit the firewall.....then it is one click on the ratchet at a time as you spend the next 5 min getting the nut to snug up......

With one mag out, the other is much easier to get at - I re-torqued those nuts too.

The alternator looks like it would be super fun to get out of there..........