Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-21-02, 01:15 AM

Jose L. Ichaso is an unknown quantity at this point
Time for Overhaul...

I would like your help for the overhaul of the engines of my 1969 337D normal aspirated. I usually fly 110 to 135 hours per year, I actually fly mostly every week, and my plane is base in a sea front airport, and most of my flying is close to the sea in the tropic. My engines had done very well, but the local FAA wants everyone to do overhaul at the factory TBO no matter your operation.

1.-Im buying new cylinders and have heard horror stories about Continental cylenders. Actually a friend of mine a month a go bought new ones from other manufacturer since his original Continental cylinders were well below compresion and parameters ( lot of belly oil )after two and a half years of operation and 280 hours in his 206. No Continental warranty, they told they could cover for 40 hours a month of operation.
In other comments I have heard they have improve a lot, and they warranties has improve a too, to 3 years of operation no matter your montly flying time. Also heard Continental cylinders are rust prone if you fly seldon and close to the sea, so better look for nickel or chrome barrel cylenders. What is "Satin Chrome"OHC cylider assemblies?, since that is what was done last engine overhaul in Jan 96.
Is there any other supplier you recommend?

2- Any other consideration, other than VAR crankshaft ( already done in last overhaul ), than the recommended parts for overhaul supply by Continental,or any other AD.

3-Does it make lot of difference to overhaul the fuel system with Continental, or the local shop. ( Local shop has a good reputation )

4-Would you change engine mounts?, since they are new from 1998.
Is there any STC for a spin on filter, not the firewall installed one.

5-Could anyone recall me the website for purchase the hose kit for the airplane and engines. Do they use to fit well?, I live in Venezuela and returns are quite a problem.

6-I have the paper type air filter, and would like the p/n to change or add the foam like cover.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,

Jose L.
Unread 08-21-02, 05:56 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Foam Air Filter

I can answer question number 6... The foam air filter is:

Initial installation kit - Brackett BA-111 (I think this comes with the filter element)

Replacement Filters - Brackett BA-24.

Re: Brackett Air Filters Form # ADS-00 May 1995
Unread 08-28-02, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Jose Luis:

I can help with questions 4 and 5.

I would not change mounts that were installed in 1998, unless you see something wrong with them; I believe they last lots of years, maybe 10.

The website for the hose supplier is www.aircrafthose.com. I have used them and they are very good. Impress on them the problem with returns, so that they'll check them twice.

You raise some good questions on engine overhauls and cylinders, and I hope GMAs or others can provide answers.

Saludos,
Ernie
Unread 08-28-02, 05:19 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re overhaul

Also heard Continental cylinders are rust prone if you fly seldon and close to the sea, so better look for nickel or chrome barrel cylenders. What is "Satin Chrome"OHC cylider assemblies?, since that is what was done last engine overhaul in Jan 96.
Is there any other supplier you recommend?

The cylinders have improved a lot. Based on your flying and location maybe you should consider a "new" TCM engine. They certainly have a far better warranty with it.

I do not think going chrome is the answer unless the cylinders have been once around already. Float plane engines seem to last as long as other engines.

3-Does it make lot of difference t overhaul the fuel system with Continental, or the local shop. ( Local shop has a good reputation ). TCM does this, however, make sure the shop has the proper instruments to calibrate the fuel controller.

4-Would you change engine mounts?, since they are new from 1998.

no, just visual inspection should suffice.

Other questions have been answered I believe. I bought TCM remans two years ago and they are doing very well. qt in 20 hrs
compressions are all good.

Warranty does mean a lot when you bear the cost of the downtime and the removal and reinstall. Murphy says..........

bob
Unread 08-31-02, 01:01 PM

Remans

José Luis,

The other sensible consideration for getting factory remans is that if you ever want to sell the plane outside Venezuela (Here in the US) the local ovehaul is going to be worth nothing no matter how good it is. With the market being as it is in Venezuela, the value of the plane in other markets is a very important consideration. I am selling my Cherokee here in the US, and although the Engine was done by aeromotores Navas which is a very good shop, and the engine has only 450 Hrs. I have to sell the airplane as if the engine had 2000 hrs, because whoever buys it is going to have to do an overhaul on it. Or at least have an AP open the engine and recertify it, it would still be a good deal for the buyer, but not for the seller.

The other consideration of importance is that you check very well with the MTC to see if any other brand of cylinders are approved by them. I know for instance that the only thing they would validate as an OH in the US is the factory, if you were to do an OH at any other shop in the US, they would not consider iy an OH, therefore would not issue an AC to the airplane. Even if many people have bought millenium or other cylinders in Venezuela, usually they do it at a top OH and therefore is is not an issue with the MTC TBO standards.

I'd strongly suggest you go for the factory remans eve though this is going to be a little more expensive in the short term, it is going to raise the value of your plane. If you decide not to go for the remans, I'd definitley look for aa FAA approved shop, there are some of those in Venezuela.

Regards,

Ignacio
Unread 09-07-02, 12:58 AM

Jose L. Ichaso is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank You all for your responses and advices. Since my cylinders have had two overhauls already, the last one overhauled with the Satin-chrome process, the only source for this type of cylinders ( Nickel-carbide) is Engine Components Inc (ECI). They do have new cyl´s for some Continental engines not the 360´s, so my only choice in this type , would be to purchase the overhauls ones from ECI sending mines as cores. Any experience with this?
Because of the explained I´m thinking about new Continental´s, and look for the job in a Venezuelan FAA approved shop.
Do not think in Reman, since difference in price with overhaul one in local shop is about $5000 per engine.
Excuse me for my late reply, but was out on vacation.
Thank you again.