Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-15-13, 10:03 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
adf antenna, or not?

ok, having new LED lights put in and when going through the wing tonight we found a loose wire and box tracing to an antenna from top near front of leading edge to the read stabilizer (other side has one as well). The avionics guide mentions ADF, but it also mentions medium and high freq....not worried about removing the long antenna wire (right this second) but trying to identify it for removal tomorrow or later date...anyone got a good fix on it? I removed teh actual ADF (and it was still working) a year or two back. Would love to get rid of this extra wiring in wing if it is not needed.

Robert
rmorris@agsi.us
Unread 10-16-13, 11:15 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Robert
I removed all the connections on the wing, tail, and wire when I did my restore. I even patched the hole on top the wing as I was having the plane painted so I figured get rid of it. I have photos but I think it's pretty straight forward. I still have the loop on the belly, can't really see it so I left it there.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 10-16-13, 11:22 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Loran

Traced it to a small amp in the wing, that says ...wait for it...Loran....ok, guess it is ok to remove

What is the loop on the belly you are referencing?
Unread 10-17-13, 11:47 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
Herb is referring to the ADF loop antenna on the belly of the airplane; it's actually a small rectangular panel that protrudes slightly above (or below) the skin of the airplane. I also had one on 2697S when I bought it but removed it during an annual and had a patch fabricated for the hole that was left (there was no ADF in the airplane). Also had the small hole in the leading edge of the left wing where the sense antenna ran to the vertical stab. I just popped in a small round spring plug to cover that hole and painted it.

My bird also has an ancient DME, which I've found kind of useful and am leaving in for the time being.
Joe