Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 03-15-09, 05:15 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
The cost of a T337H Fwd exhaust system is 4K-5K then you have the ducting and control valves It will be much more cost effective to buy a new heater or two. The biggest problem with a Janitrol heater was getting a cracked combustion chamber and everyone expiring from CO posioning. But a heater/muffler type system will do the same thing.
Kim
Unread 12-20-10, 05:33 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Question C&D heater remains tepid

I had a C&D put in abut a year ago, and it's outlet air temp remains tepid.

New pump, pressure regulator, etc from C&D

Did you have to do anything special to it?

Did yours eventually put out heat like the old janitrol?

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAxel View Post
Robert,
the combustion heater uses 2.25lbs/hr on fuel, and draws it from the same tank as the front engine (left). As to the C&D heater, I swapped my old one out at the last annual. The new one actually works, the old one didn't. Be sure whoever does this for you actually reads the installation procedures and follows the checklist and checks that everything is set up properly, and then tests it at altitude. It seems that if the fuel pump for the heater is not up to spec, the heater won't light at altitude. Don't ask how I know! The folks who did this for me hadn't done this before, and didn't do it very well or very efficiently. The total cost was $6800. I won't be going back to this shop. The heater works well though, once it was set up properly.
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 12-20-10, 09:22 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
David,
the best suggestion I can make is to call C&D, make an appointment, and fly up and see them in person. They can check the whole thing and get it set up properly. I have heard they are very good at this when you show up on their doorstep and folks leave happy campers. I have no idea as to cost though. FWIW, once my C&D heater was properly set up, it worked just fine. The problem in my case was that the fuel pump didn't put out enough pressure so the heater would light properly. That pump does have a screen that needs cleaning on occasion too.
Unread 04-13-11, 03:53 PM

Rick Gardner is an unknown quantity at this point
Janitrol heater

Can the Janitrol heater be removed on a P model? We operate 100% of the time in the Caribbean, Mexico and Ceentral America. Never have a problem being too cold.

I would like to permanently remove the Janitrol and get rid of some of the space consuming plumbing. However, we want to do it correctly and legally. Are there any options?
Unread 11-22-13, 11:38 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Janitrol overhaul or other options

OK, my Janitrol heater has now failed the decay test and is removed by the a&p doing other work on my front engine. Curious on options others have done. I need heat (turbo I usually fly high, and it has been very cold recently without a heater at 21K in November .

Looking for cost effective options, because I am already having to handle an engine overhaul right now in the pocketbook.

Again, looking for all options and comments please. either her, or email me at rmorris@agsi.us

Thanks,
Robert
Unread 11-22-13, 08:20 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Not many options out there Robert, find an overhauled Janitrol or go for the C&D non AD unit

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-25-13, 05:43 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
heat exchanger

Trading voicemails with mechanic sounds like he might be able to make a heat exchange option similar to what is in his normally aspirate skymaster and remove the janitrol heater, which was an option from factory, by doing a 337 form.

Other than the obvious. make sure my CO2 detectors in the cabin are working before each flight. Any other thoughts on the subject?

What about its ability to heat at high altitudes, versus the Janirol? Anyone have the heat exchange (non-Janitrol style) heater and fly in the upper teens or even low 20s?
Unread 11-25-13, 11:12 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Robert

Check out this thread, http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...light=janitrol

There is an attachment that details the exhaust for the T model. It indicates a muff over the muffler but only one and I don't see any scat tube connections.

You could try to duplicate a normal aspirated system on your T model but it will require a field approval for the STC as I don't think there is an STC out there. I could be wrong so you might want to give Don Neiser a call or Owen Bell as they may know.

Good luck

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years