Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-09-06, 04:16 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Cargo pack installation

Has anyone ever installed a cargo pack on an airplane that didn't have one from the factory?

My question is: do all Skymasters have the rivenuts already installed to add on a cargo pack, if there wasn't one originally installed by Cessna. Or if I buy a cargo pack, will I need to drill holes in my airframe and install the hardware?

If I do have to install the hardware, how do I know where to install the hardware and pack? Since the maintenance manuals do not mention any alignment marks.

Thanks,

Rob

Snrpilot@aol.com
Unread 10-09-06, 08:28 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
This is a really good question.
Mine had it installed from the factory. I would suppose that if you buy one, it will have the locating holes, and then use them to position your holes for the nuts. Note, however, that it must be fully flush up against the fuselage before you do anything. I can not install mine unless it is jacked up flush.
Unread 10-09-06, 10:06 AM

Paul462 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rob,

We installed a cargo pack from Owen Bell and had to drill holes and install the rivnuts as part of the installation procedure. There were no marks on the pod itself, so we jacked it up against the aircraft belly (after re-locating some antennas) and drilled through the pod into the aircraft.

Paul
Unread 10-09-06, 08:40 PM

P337 Wannabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Rivnuts or nut plates? I wouldn't think rivnuts would be strong enough.

As a follow on to the original question, is the installation any different on a P than the others?
Unread 10-09-06, 09:20 PM

J.T.Grant is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear Sirs,
I installed a cargo pod on my 336 late last year after obtaining the installation drawings from Cessna. (Yes Cessna did mark the drawings for my aircraft 336-0145, so I feel safe as to legality.)
Yes to riv-nuts all the way around. It calls for # 10's.
Offer the pod up to the belly to mark through the Cessna pod then drill for the riv-nuts. Do not forget to use loc-tite on all the threads.If you are using a used pod the hole for the step may allready be in place, if not this must first be located and cut out.
The pod uses a rubber seal around the top edge but this will not make it water or oil proof so remember to wrap all cargo in large and heavy trash bags.
The installation drawings also call for the extension of the front cowl flap rod to ensure adequate cooling.
If you buy a new pod all these details should be included. If you find a used pod your IA will probably need the drawings from Cessna as mine did.
Good luck. The Pod adds great utility to a great aircraft , and at least on my aircraft has not reduced cruise speed at all.
Regards
James
Unread 10-10-06, 12:31 PM

big al 08 is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe a good landing pad for a gear failure, i think i wish i had one last month.
has anyone tried it?
Unread 10-10-06, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Not on purpose, but, yes, it's happened and the results were spectacular: essentially zero damage to the aircraft. This was reported at the Skymaster fly-in and meeting in Oklahoma City in 2004 by Lynn Justice, an American missionary in Latin America who uses his Skymaster with a cargo pod to ferry supplies to several of the schools that his family runs. He reported that in in one instance his gear failed to extend so he belly landed it (with the pod on). An inspection showed no damage to the aircraft. Also, the damage to the pod was moderate; it did not fail structurally (become crushed), and the damage was limited to scarring of the pod's lower surface, some of them deep (I can't remember if the scars were so deep as to result in holes). The pod was repaired locally with fiberglass.

This is my recollection from Lynn's statements, and I believe that they are accurate. If others present at the Oklahoma City meeting remember differently, please feel free to let us know.

Ernie
Unread 10-10-06, 01:09 PM
Web Master

As I recall it, Lynn feathered the front prop horizontally, and the rear prop was never close to the ground. No prop strike, no engine damage. Cargo pods are cheaper to repair than airplanes.
Unread 10-10-06, 09:21 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I worked on a 75 "G" model for several years that had a pod. During the annual inspections, we had to removed the pod for inspections, we used a tractor inner tube inflated with shop air to raise and lower the pod, like an airbag on a vehicle. Worked great and reduced the sweat factor on us.
Unread 10-10-06, 10:05 PM
Web Master

That is a huge idea. That would make it so easy.
I'll try that when I put mine back on.

Thank You!!!
Unread 10-13-06, 03:07 AM

Thanks for the great responses. Mr. Grant, would you be able to share those pod drawings, via email/computer scan? Especially if the drawings are something different from what's in the maintenance manual.

Thanks

Rob
Snrpilot@aol.com
Unread 04-08-07, 07:27 PM

rrice is an unknown quantity at this point
206 vs. 336 Cargo Pod

Does anyone know if a 206 cargo pod bears any similarity to a 336 cargo pod?

Also, does anyone have a copy of installation drawings we could beg, borrow or otherwise GET?

Rob Rice - Great Commission Air (.org)

Robert Rice
Great Commission Air
www.GreatCommissionAir.org
Unread 04-11-07, 01:47 AM

Please include me on the list of guys needing cargo pod installation data.
Unread 04-12-07, 12:17 PM

J.T.Grant is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear Rob,
bad news I am affraid as to using a C206 Pod on your 336, as they are totally different in size, shape, and belly contour.
The good news is that the standard pod for the C337 is a perfect fit for the 336. You could find an original Cessna "Cargo Pack"(Cargo Pod) or one of the after market units from RT AeroSpace or Owen Bell.(see the parts suppliers list on this website).
I see from one of your other posts that you are thinking about a Robertson STOL kit. I have the Horton STOL kit and the MicroDynamics VG's on my 336 and can fly safely below 60MPH.
I would be happy to discuss this and any other 336 details with you as I have been operating my 336 out of very short and challenging strips for the last ten years.
I can be reached on 205-799-1716
Regards
James T Grant N3845U C336-0145
Unread 04-13-07, 08:03 PM

I checked out that company's web site. They want $6,000 for a cargo pod -- hardly worth the expense -- and that doesn't include installation. So I'll have to keep looking for a used one.

Does anyone know of any salvage yards with old Skymaster pods lying around?